Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A Book Well Written



...but for my own part, if a book is well written, I always find it too short.” 
~Jane Austen~

Hello dear readers! I've been meaning to share these photos with you for quite some time now, in fact since last year! One of the the items on my 104 list was to read Jane Austen's Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey. Well I did accomplish that but never got around to posting about it. Surely I'm not the only blogger who posts about things way after they happen?! ;) 
Anyway, I wasn't sure I would be able to read them since my library didn't have these novels. However on a visit to the library my mom and I were looking over some display cases which housed some very pretty novels by British authors. These books were part of a silent auction which my local library has every few weeks. They usually have a particular theme and sell old or interesting books that fit the theme{eg: British authors, gardening, travel} to help raise money for the library. On this particular day they had a complete set of Jane Austen novels/works which were beautifully bound. I've wanted such a set for my own home-library{if ever I have one} so I knew I had to put in a bid. The highest bid so far was for $30 so I put in a bid for $40. Yes that is quite costly but after looking up a similar set of books for about the same price I knew it was well worth the money. Besides the books were published in 1993, the year I was born! I'm sure you know that I was the highest bidder and am now the proud and happy owner of these pretty hard bound books! =D 
My love for Austen began with seeing the movie adaptations, the first I believe I saw was the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility. I've since seen several of the other films versions of Austen's beloved novels and always look forward to seeing different adaptations. Several years ago I received the paper back copies of Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Sense and Sensibility as a gift from my dad. I enjoyed them very much which gave me a desire to read Miss Austen's other works. Although those three are my favorite I still enjoyed reading Persuasion, Mansfield Park, and Northanger Abbey. I'm thrilled that I can now read them whenever I choose!
Have you read any of Jane Austen's novels?
If yes, which one is your favorite?
 If no, then which would you like to read?
Do you enjoy the film adaptations?
Have you ever bid in a silent auction?
Please leave your comments below!
Love in Christ,
~Sarah~







8 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Personally, I've never been a big Jane Austen fan, but this summer I wanted to maybe try reading her book Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading them because it is like a history lesson. When a book takes place around the same time it is written, I can know that I'm getting a pretty good look at what times were like then. I also just enjoy the characters and the stories! ;) Hope you give Emma a try! :)

      Delete
  2. I have all of her books but not all as nice as the ones you have. And haven't read them before :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read them! But if you are like me you have to be "in the mood" to read certain books. Jane Austen's novels, which I do enjoy reading, our those types of books. Now there are some books that I could pretty much pick up and read at anytime! ;)

      Delete
  3. What beautiful copies of these books! I like your photography of them too. :)
    My favorite Jane Austen book? It's too hard to choose one. ;) It just might be S&S...I've read all of Austen's major works, as well as what she wrote of Sanditon and The Watsons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Paige! I haven't read The Watsons, but there is a copy of her shorter/unfinished works in that set. I've read Sandition, but where Jane Austen left off another {anonymous} writer finished the story. It was really good. I thought Miss Austen's part and the other author's went together seamlessly.

      Delete
    2. How neat! Do you know the name of the other author or was it anonymous?

      Delete
  4. No I don't know the other author, the book just said written by Jane Austen and another lady. Here is a link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sanditon-Jane-Austens-Novel-Completed/dp/0684843420

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Please leave a comment because I love to hear from my readers. I do read every comment but might not respond right away.

Please, no spam. Also, if you have something mean to say, don't say it at all. Just keep it to yourself. Please think of others before you comment anything hurtful. Thank you!

In Christ,
~Sarah~