Friday, May 23, 2014

Adventures in Tennessee~ Part 4

Hello again! In my last post I talked about all the fun things I did in January. I also mentioned that Becky, from New Zealand, came to volunteer for Above Rubies. So now with the addition of Becky, we{Becky, Annie, and I} were like the "three musketeers"! ;) It was great getting to know Becky, loved hearing her Kiwi accent. Those of you who don't know, New Zealanders are sometimes called Kiwis because their national bird is a Kiwi. It was really interesting learning all the differences in our language...even though we both speak English! For instance in New Zealand cookies are called biscuits, vacations are called holidays, potatoes are called jacket spuds, dessert{of any kind} is called pudding, and so many more, that I can't seem to remember right now! ;)
A Kiwi{person} and a Kiwi{bird}. ;)
On the first day of the month we woke up to a beautiful and white winter wonderland! It seemed as if I had stepped into the wintry world of Narnia. At first we thought we were going to go out and just admire the snow. Then Becky told us how she dressed up once for some photos in the snow which set our minds going. We three decided to do the same thing! It was hard trying to dress up and stay bundled up too. I actually wore my p.j. pants under my skirt! :) We took photos until we could no longer stand the cold.

One weekend Mr. Campbell took Becky, Annie, and me to the Gaylord Opryland Resort. A massive hotel/conference center in Nashville with indoor rivers, live trees, tropical plants, and even a few waterfalls! There are also giant ball rooms, plenty of shops and restaurants, and neat murals painted on some of the walls! It is such a spectacular place to walk around and snap photos. That being said I had a very hard time picking which photos to put up, so there are quite a few! ;)
On my birthday the 21st of February I woke up to a day full of surprises! The girls had taped up signs in the kitchen wishing me a happy birthday. They also had some presents wrapped up for me on the dinning room table. What a surprise it was to find my favorite box of cereal, a scarf I had just been admiring, and a collection of classic movie musicals. Oh and one of my favorite unhealthy treats, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! ;) Not only did Annie and Becky surprise me with their thoughtful gifts but so did Mr. and Mrs. Campbell; an all natural chocolate bar from Trader Joe's, some bath essentials, and a pretty prayer/devotional journal. The next day, a Friday, I had a girls sleep over. We ate all kinds of sweets, including a chocolate cake which Becky made from scratch! We watched movies on the Campbell's big screen{which I mentioned in my first post} and played some fun games. One such game is known as the chocolate game; everyone sits in a circle around a plate with a yummy chocolate bar, a knife, and a fork on it. Each person takes turns rapidly throwing the dice; if you get a six you have to quickly put on a coat, gloves, and a scarf. Then you must grab the knife and fork and eat as much chocolate as you can before someone else gets a six! Some ladies didn't get to eat any chocolate, thankfully I wasn't one of them! ;) It was such a fun night filled with lots of laughter. Both Rashida and Chalice{Campbell granddaughters} gave me a handmade necklace. My good friend, Joy, brought me some all natural bath products, KitNaturals, which her family makes. Joy and her family live near by and are great friends with the Campbell family. The next day we all woke up and headed out for a day in a near by town, Franklin. We went ice skating...for only 15 minutes because we were late in trying to find the rink! :P We did some Goodwill shopping and some window shopping in downtown Franklin. It was a such an awesome "birthday weekend"!
The photo on the far right was taken while playing the chocolate game.
I was actually starting to fall in this photo but thankfully I had friends to hang on to. ;)
Another fun celebration was little Anthony's dedication. It was an awesome time of encouraging speeches to Psalmody as she raises her little boy to serve God. It was also a great time of prayer for and over Anthony's life, that he will be used by God in mighty ways. It was so powerful to hear all his family, from his grandparents to his cousins, praying over his life! What a blessing it is to see such a large family living and serving the Lord.
Loved hearing all the speeches made to Psalmody and Anthony.
Mrs. Campbell is quite the animated speaker!
Praying over Anthony.
It seemed has if we had one party after another; we girls also had a Valentine's party with sweets, tea, photo shoots, girlie movies, and dancing. Then we celebrated Sahara's{Rashida's sister} birthday. It was sweet to see how Sahara would smile with delight as she received her gifts, a dollar from a cousin, a flower from her little brother, and so on. We all got to make and decorate masks with crayons, beads, and what ever else we so chose. That being said several people, including Mercy, used potatoes chips on their masks! =D
Everyone looking a bit silly in their masks! =D
Well hope you enjoyed this rather long post! Seeing it written out like this, February was quite a busy month.

Ever heard of people from NZ called Kiwis?
What are some of your favorite birthday memories?
Ever done a photo shoot in the snow?
Met someone who speaks a "different" language from you,
even if you both speak English?
Please leave your comments below!
Love in Christ,
~Sarah~

Photo credits: Annie, Becky, Mercy, and Rashida.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, February looks exciting! :D Not all of the pictures will load :( but most of them will, and what I can see looks great. I like the lovely snow photoshoot, and the Resort and all the pink in the Valentine's Party. Are ya'll doing the Virgina Reel?
    I've never met anyone who spoke a different version of English than me, as far as I know. At least, I didn't notice any differences. :) But I did know NZers are called Kiwis! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, so sorry you couldn't see all the photos! I was having a lot of difficulty with this post; hope you can see them now! Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the Virginia Reel. That's the first time I've ever done a dance like that so I'm not real familiar with it. It was so much fun though! :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful time you must have had! Thank you for your post. You will have memories to cherish for a lifetime. <3 Btw, my b-day is just two days after yours - February is a wonderful month to be born. :-) ~Lisa (Paige's mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful for all the wonderful memories I have from my time there. So glad you are enjoying the posts and yes February is the best month to be born in! ;)

      Delete
  3. love reading your Tennessee posts. sounds like you had just a wonderful time that will linger in your memory for years to come
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again it thrills me to hear you are enjoying the TN posts; at first I thought no one would be interested. Thank you, Abigail, and everyone else who has left a comment! =D

      Delete

Hello there! Please leave a comment because I love to hear from my readers. I do read every comment but might not respond right away.

Please, no spam. Also, if you have something mean to say, don't say it at all. Just keep it to yourself. Please think of others before you comment anything hurtful. Thank you!

In Christ,
~Sarah~