Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Maiden's Bequest~ A Novel

While volunteering for Above Rubies I heard of an author who I was unfamiliar with, George McDonald. One of the Campbell's granddaughters loves to read his novels and would talk about them non-stop. So of course I was interested in reading them. I made sure when I got back home{to Georgia that is} to check my local library. You can imagine my delight when I saw not one but at least 30 of his novels!
Deciding which one to choose was hard but I finally settled on a novel titled, The Maiden's Bequest, as this was one that was mentioned frequently as a favorite of the Campbell's granddaughter. The original title of the novel was Alec Forbes of Howglen.



I can happily say that I loved the novel and will be checking out more of them! The particular novel I checked out had been revised and edited, meaning parts were removed from the original work and words were changed so modern readers could understand it. I wasn't to happy about that but none the less it was a wonderful story. 


The story takes place in Scotland and follows the life of an orphan girl, Annie and her friendship with a young boy named Alec. As they grow up their lives take different paths. Annie follows the path that keeps her close with God and His ways while Alec's path leads him into a very ungodly and worldly lifestyle. I shan't tell you how it ends though, you will have to read the book for that!

Have you read any novels by George McDonald? Discovered any "new" authors? Please leave your comments below!

Love in Christ,
~Sarah~ 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I just found your blog through Natasha's. I will have to check our library for that book. Sounds like a very good read. I also love Above Rubies magazine. It must have been a lot of fun getting to hang out with their BIG family.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kimberly! Thank you so much for following my blog. I hope your library does have the book; it was such a great read! Yes it was so much fun living with the Campbell's big and incredible family. I am hoping to go back again this year.
      Sarah

      Delete

Hello there! Please leave a comment because I love to hear from my readers. I do read every comment but might not respond right away.

Please, no spam. Also, if you have something mean to say, don't say it at all. Just keep it to yourself. Please think of others before you comment anything hurtful. Thank you!

In Christ,
~Sarah~