Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Jane Eyre

WARNING: If you haven't seen this movie and wish not to know what happens,  please do not read this post. :)
It just now occurred to me that a couple of weekends ago I watched Jane Eyre which is something I wrote down on my list. I watched the most recent film from 2011. Surprisingly I enjoyed it; I didn't really know what the story was about. From what I knew it was a sad and creepy movie. Well it is sad and I guess a little creepy, but overall I liked it.
Favorite Character: I will definitely go with Jane(Mia Wasikowska). She goes through so much in her childhood and she never seems bitter. She forgives her wicked aunt after everything she does to her and she was very grateful to those who show her even a little bit of kindness. Jane tries to be happy and content. She does not let her circumstances sway her beliefs. For instance even though she is deeply in love with Mr. Rochester she does not marry him because he is still married.
Least Favorite Character: Jane's aunt is so mean to her and shows no love to her. She treats her son like he is a prince and never does any wrong. She spoiled him while showing Jane no kindness. Jane's aunt also lies to her about an uncle who so longed to see Jane.
Favorite Scene: The best scene in the entire movie is at the end when Mr. Rochester(Michael Fassbender) and Jane "see" each other again. The ending was a lot happier than I expected it to be. I just knew when Jane walked up to the house and saw it burnt down that Mr. Rochester was dead. Although it is a bitter sweet moment because Mr. Rochester has lost his eye site from the fire.  They are now able to marry and I  hope live happily ever after.
Least Favorite Scene: There are so many scenes that I don't like. All those scenes when Jane was in the school are so sad. The way the schoolmaster and teachers treated those poor girls; it was terrible. Then there is a scene when Jane's aunt locks her in a room by herself and ashes come out of the fireplace. I'm not sure if her aunt did that or if it just happened. Jane was so frightened she started beating on the door to get out. Then she began to beat her head on the door and knocked herself out. I can just tell how scared she was.
Pros: The acting was excellent and I was very convinced that Jane and Mr. Rochester were in love. Jane does not seem to harbor bitterness even after all that happens to her.
Cons: The movie is quite dark and some what scary, especially the scene when Mr. Rochester's friend is stabbed and Jane walks to the wall and hears someone on the other side of it. I don't like that Mr. Rochester has a wife  and lied to Jane about it. It wasn't right of him to ask her to marry him and not tell her. I watched this movie with a ClearPlay filter, so my viewing of the movie was different from what the normal viewing of the movie would be. I know there is a scene where Jane sees a picture of a nude women so I would strongly recommend caution when watching this movie. That scene was thankfully cut out do to the ClearPlay filter. 

Have you seen Jane Eyre, this one or a different version? 
Please leave a comment and let me know!

Love in Christ
~Sarah~

 

 

5 comments:

  1. I grew up with the story of Jane Eyre and love it!!! Jane is such a godly woman and her strength is incredible. She had to say no to Mr. Rochester even when her heart was saying yes! (That’s why we should not follow our hearts:) By refusing the forbidden fruit she received a blessing in the end. Obedience always receives a blessing...if not in this world then in the next. I really want to see this movie after your post:D Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julianne for your comment! The more I think about Jane the more I admire her and her godly qualities. It is so true about not following our hearts. I have heard "just follow your heart" in so many films, but according to scripture:"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9. After seeing the movie I really want to read the novel.

      Delete
    2. You should *definitely* read the book, Sarah! The incredible thing with me was that while I knew Rochester didn't die in the end, I didn't know the *secret* and it shocked me! Jane is so very true to goodness :)

      Delete
    3. Definitely read the book! The movie left out some stuff!!

      Delete
    4. So want to read the book, now I just have to find a copy! :)

      Delete

Hello there! Please leave a comment because I love to hear from my readers. I do read every comment but might not respond right away.

Please, no spam. Also, if you have something mean to say, don't say it at all. Just keep it to yourself. Please think of others before you comment anything hurtful. Thank you!

In Christ,
~Sarah~